We investigate the role of the atmosphere in the dynamic climate system and its underlying processes.
ATMO research contributes to the understanding of
- the long-term atmospheric composition change and associated climate change
- the degradation of air quality
occuring in response to
- increasing anthropogenic forcings (emissions, land-use change)
- biosphere-atmosphere-climate feedbacks
- interactions with changes in the water cycle
The Programme Atmosphere and Climate (ATMO) is embedded within the structure of the Helmholtz-Association. It is one of the five research programmes in the Helmholtz Research Field Earth and Environment that aims at understanding the System Earth to ensure that our planet remains ecologically stable and that the climate equilibrium is not knocked out of balance.
Funding provided through the Helmholtz programme is supplemented by third-party funding.